India tour of Bangladesh in doubt as Afghanistan announces T20Is in Delhi
The Bangladesh-India series is being discussed at the ministerial level, with Bangladesh's new government keen to resolve the uncertainty surrounding the tour. The two teams were scheduled to play three ODIs and three T20Is in Bangladesh in August last year, but it was postponed to…
The Bangladesh-India series is being discussed at the ministerial level, with Bangladesh's new government keen to resolve the uncertainty surrounding the tour. Sources told India Today that the BCCI will be able to decide on Bangladesh’s proposal, if any, only after consulting the government.
Bangladesh Sports Minister Aminul Haque said the government was hopeful of finding a solution soon. It is being worked on at the ministerial level.
What Happened
We want to quickly resolve the deadlock that was created around the Cricket World Cup. I hope to maintain strong, friendly relations with our neighbouring country through sports.
The two teams were scheduled to play three ODIs and three T20Is in Bangladesh in August last year, but it was postponed to 2026 due to geopolitical tensions.
The Bangladesh series has been in doubt since the previous government decided against sending the team to India for the 2026 T20 World Cup, citing concerns over the safety and well-being of the players.
The Afghanistan Cricket Board's announcement, thus, means the proposed Bangladesh series would require a fresh scheduling arrangement if India are to fulfil both commitments.
Key Details
We want to smoothly navigate the current state of uncertainty. The Indian High Commissioner has met with the Honourable Prime Minister.
The Indian team is expected to arrive in Bangladesh on August 28.
The revised itinerary has three ODIs and three T20Is, with the ODIs scheduled for September 1, 3 and 6, followed by T20Is on September 9, 12 and 13.
The BCB has kept a window from August 29 to September 15 for the proposed white-ball series against India.
Why It Matters
Discussions were also held today with the Foreign Minister and the State Minister. They, too, are very optimistic that the uncertainty surrounding the last T20 World Cup can be resolved quickly.
The first T20I is scheduled for September 13, followed by matches on September 15 and 17 at New Delhi's Arun Jaitley Stadium.
In a letter to stakeholders, he stated that the dates had been agreed with the BCCI and that the venues had been finalised, the report claimed.
What Reports Say
Coverage of the story so far points to:
Continued reporting by India Today as more details emerge