Bollywood

Sexual assault case: Chargesheet filed against former Kerala MLA and filmmaker P.T. Kunhi Mohammed

Kunhi Mohammed chaired the jury which selected Malayalam films for 30th edition of IFFK in 2025. The police case is that he invited a woman filmmaker to his hotel room on the pretext of discussing IFFK selection process and outraged her modesty

Sexual assault case: Chargesheet filed against former Kerala MLA and filmmaker P.T. Kunhi Mohammed

Updated - February 10, 2026 06:34 pm IST - Thiruvananthapuram

The Cantonment police in Kerala have indicted noted Malayalam director and former Independent legislator from Perambra in Kozhikode, P.T. Kunhi Mohammed, for allegedly outraging the modesty of a fellow woman filmmaker.

Assistant Commissioner, Cantonment, Stuart Keeler said the police had submitted the chargesheet in the case to the court of the Judicial First Class Magistrate – III in Thiruvananthapuram last month.

Advertisement

Mr. Mohammed chaired the jury which selected Malayalam films for the 30th edition of the International Film Festival of Kerala (IFFK) in 2025. The police case was that Mr. Mohammed invited the woman to his suite room in a posh hotel on the pretext of discussing the IFFK selection process and the chances of the young filmmaker’s movie finding a place on the screening list.

According to the police, the woman fled the room after Mr. Mohammed allegedly made unsolicited and aggressive sexual advances. Subsequently, the woman alerted the Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) of Kerala State Chalachitra Academy (KSCA). Later, Kukku Parameswaran, KSFA vice-chairperson, confirmed the receipt of the petition.

Subsequently, the complainant petitioned the Chief Minister’s Office, which forwarded it to the State Police Chief, Ravada Chandrasekhar, for further action. The woman gave a sworn statement to a judicial magistrate on her own volition and in-camera under Section 183 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS). The police also retrieved video footage from the hotel’s surveillance cameras and submitted it as evidence in court.

Subsequently, the police indicted Mr. Mohammed on charges of outraging the modesty of a woman, illegal detention, intimidation, and trespass under the relevant sections of the BNSS. They recorded Mr. Mohammed’s statement.

Mr. Mohammed, also a television personality who championed the rights of non-resident Malayalis working in the Gulf, has since denied the allegation. He had said the accusation stemmed from “a possible misunderstanding” of his actions and expressed his willingness to issue a public apology.

Mr. Mohammed is currently on anticipatory bail and under instructions not to leave the country without the court’s permission.

Published - February 10, 2026 10:52 am IST

Advertisement

More in Bollywood

View all →