News

Indore authorities rescued a beggar. Then came twist: He owns 3 homes, fleet of autos, lending business

Indore authorities rescued a beggar. Then came twist: He owns 3 homes, fleet of autos, lending business
Indore authorities rescued a beggar. Then came twist: He owns 3 homes, fleet of autos, lending business — image 2

For years, shoppers and traders in Indore’s bustling Sarafa bullion market would see the same sight: A leprosy-afflicted man sliding through the lanes on a wooden cart, a worn bag on his back, hands clutching old shoes for support.

Last week, authorities found a twist in the story. The man was richer than many he begged from, owning three houses, operating an informal money-lending business that earned him over Rs 1,000 a day, and maintaining a small fleet of autorickshaws that he rented out.

Mangilal, 50, was “rescued” during an anti-begging drive by the Women and Child Development Department in Indore, where begging is banned.

Advertisement

According to officials, the rescue team received information about Mangilal at 10 pm on Saturday and tracked him down.

“We have learned that this man owns three concrete houses, including a three-storey building,” said Dinesh Mishra, nodal officer for the department’s begging eradication campaign. “He has three autorickshaws that he rents out. The man also owns a car in which he goes begging. He has hired a driver for this purpose.”

According to officials, Mangilal had lent Rs 4-5 lakh to people in the Sarafa area, collecting daily interest alongside the Rs 400-500 he made from begging. His method was disarmingly effective as “he never asked for money directly, simply positioning himself near shoppers until they voluntarily gave,” Mishra said.

The properties linked to Mangilal include a three-storey house in Bhagat Singh Nagar, a 600-square-foot house in Shivnagar, and a one-bedroom flat in Alwas.

Mangilal lives with his elderly parents in Alwas, while his two brothers live separately. He has now been moved to the Sevadam Ashram in Ujjain.

District Collector Shivam Verma confirmed that punitive action would be taken once all facts are verified. “Indore is a beggar-free city, and the government is arranging for the rehabilitation of beggars so that they do not face any kind of inconvenience,” Verma said.

The Indore administration has been running an intensive anti-begging campaign since February 2024. Initial surveys identified 6,500 beggars. While 4,500 have been counselled to stop begging, 1,600 have been rescued and sent to Sevadam Ashram, and 172 children have been enrolled in schools. The city, already celebrated as India’s cleanest for a decade, has imposed legal bans on begging, giving alms, and even purchasing goods from beggars.

Anand Mohan J is an award-winning Senior Correspondent for The Indian Express, currently leading the... Read More

Advertisement

More in News

View all →